- Where it says My Questions For You in bold are actually Saiun's questions. I couldn't edit it out for some reason.
- Playing: Labyrinth
- Eating: biscuit
- You have to post the rules
- Each person has to share 13 things about themselves
- Answer the 13 questions asked and invent 13 questions the people you tag will have to answer
- Choose 13 people
- Have fun!
13 Things About Me:
- I am old. 54 to be exact. And I feel older and younger than that at the same time. I think I am a perpetual teenager in some ways.
- I have two children in their twenties who mean the world to me. The youngest is a girl and the eldest a boy (born physically a girl). I am very supportive of the trans community as a result.
- I am a joint Canadian and British citizen living in Newfoundland, Canada, but I miss England very much. We went back this summer for a long holiday and I enjoyed it immensely - I still feel that I belong there. Home is where my children are though and they are in Canada. But home is also where the rest of my family are and that is England. It is very hard to be torn in that way.
- I have a degree in archaeology from Durham University, England, but I never built a career in that. I wanted to work in a museum but only ever got volunteer positions (those were the Maggie Thatcher days when it was hard to get work in academic fields) until marriage and children intervened.
- I have been a story teller since before I could even read and write. My mother tells me I would take a book and make up a story and pretend to be reading it from the book.
- A life-long, self-styled poet, I think my poetry has improved since being on deviant art. I am able to take criticism better than I used to as long as it is constructive, but I have also learned not to try and please everyone - it just ends in a mess. In the end you have to be true to yourself.
- I learned Latin and Greek at school. I got an E in my Latin A Level but a B in my Greek O Level. I remember very little of it. I took French at school but my French is limited and basic.
- I am an atheist and a skeptic and pro-science. I hate woo of any kind so don't expect me to put up with any religious, alternative medicine, anti-vaccine, anti-GMO or conspiracy theory bunkum.
- I had a second home on DA for a long time but left because I got overwhelmed by it . I am trying to come back but have had several false starts. If I do successfully come back I am going to take it easy and not take on too much again.
- I love nature and animals and trees and being a part of that, but spend far too little time in it.
- What would you rather be; a bird in the sky or a fish in the sea?
I have always felt I should be in the water, and I love swimming although I don't go under, but I think I would be a bird. If I could fly I wouldn't have to take a plane! Ha! Ha! The freedom to move without obstacle would be amazing, and what sights I could see. I had an amazing flying dream once. I felt sooooooo good!
- Do you believe in reincarnation?
I can't believe in anything without solid proof - so no, I don't but that doesn't mean I haven't speculated about it or imagined what it would be like. It is kind of nice to think we get to live again, but the trouble is we wouldn't remember our previous mistakes, and we would forget our loved ones from the previous life and perhaps never meet them again. I wouldn't like that.
- Do you have a favourite poem? If yes, what is it?
I love Ode To Psyche by John Keats - a beautiful poem.
- A must read book you feel everyone would love?
- I realised the other day that the books that mean most to me are those from my childhood, and supreme amongst tjose are the Teddy Robinson books by Joan G. Robinson. Teddy Robinson is adorable, self-absorbed and naughty just like children and it doesn't matter - Deborah loves him anyway! For adult books I would go with William Golding's especially The Inheritors. Very moving and sad, but they will never leave you.
- Last film you saw at the cinema?
- I honestly can't remember. I saw a performance of King Lear by the Stratford Festival on the big screen if that counts.
- Did you enjoy it? And why (not)?
I thought it was excellent even though King Lear is not a play I particularly like.
- Latest song addiction?
When You Go by The Wilderness of Manitoba. Their whole album (Between Colours) is really good. I bought it because my daughter was going to Manitoba to work for a while - and she did return to me!
- Is there a language you always wanted to learn?
I want to learn Italian. I have an Italian friend and I visited Italy for the first time this summer. It was a wonderful experience. It doesn't seem like it would be too hard to pick up enough Italian to get by on.
- One country you'd like to visit in your lifetime?
I would like to visit Sweden. It has always seemed attractive to me.
- Did you have a hero growing up? From a book, film, television series? Or somewhere else?
I grew up with Doctor Who but I wouldn't call him a hero exactly - he has his faults, but who wants to admire someone who is perfect? Perfection seems unattainable and I can't identify with it and would be sceptical of it. I also had great admiration for my parents and how hard they both worked for us, and my grand-parents too. True-life, everyday heroes. My sister-in-law is also someone I admire a great deal: she has gone through a lot of hard times but leads an interesting and fulfilling life.
- Are you a morning or evening/night person?
I feel happiest after I first get up, but I am a lie-a-bed. I like to see the sunshine in the morning and gather around the breakfast table with my family. It's a new beginning full of promise and hope. I like the mystery and isolation of the night too - I think it's fun to go out and explore in the dark..
- If you could choose a super-power, what would it be?
The ability to make people happy.
- A night in town or rather an evening spent curled up in front of the fireplace?
- The fireplace. Nice and cosy with a good murder mystery.
- What is your favorite quote?
- What do you do to remove art block?
5.If you could be in any TV-show or movie you wanted, which one would it be, and why?
-Maybe Midsomer Murders so I could hang out in cool English villages and pretend to be dead.
- What was the best thing that has ever happened to you?
- Do you work for your community? And not for money, either.
- Over the years I have done a fair bit of volunteer work. Not much paid work. I do think volunteers get taken advantage of though. We do have to eat like everyone else. Currently I work one afternoon a week at a charity thrift store that raises money to rescue animals.
- Which is worse: cleaning your toilets or washing curtains?
Cleaning toilets although it's better than not cleaning them. Someone house sat for us for a month once and never cleaned the toilet. It was disgusting.
4. You've been hit with a curse. What is it, and how do you get rid of it?
- Menstruation. Menopause. Yipee!
- What is your zodiac sign?
- Do you believe it has anything to say about you?
Nope. But it can be fun to pretend it does.
- Do you believe in fortune cookies?
- No, we are just hypnotised to think they are there.
- Who would you want to meet?
- Elijah Tarrant my criminal great-great-great-great grandfather or something like that who was arrested for poaching on multiple occasions. He eventually became a publican and gunsmith.
My questions to you:
- Did you make it all the way to this point and then think, "good grief, I have to come up with questions now"? No.
- You get to name your own crayon. What is your new color? My mother's blue eyes.
- Name a favorite scent from childhood, how about now? I loved the smell of lily of the valley. I love many floral smells but particularly that of the Star-gazer lily.
- What is your favorite thing to do in your local area?
Walk beside Manuel's River.
5. On a lark you want to do something really daring. What is it?
- Run around naked in the sunshine.
- Name something that brings you bliss. Lying all warm and cosy in bed.
- Are there words that you particularly like? If so, why? Yes. Because of their sound.
- Do you have any daily rituals? What are they? Just basic things like having morning coffee, checking the internet, listening to the radio, reading in bed, watching dvds in the evening with my husband.
- Muppets is coming back. Which is your favorite? Never took to them.
- If you made a muppet what would it look/sound/act like? It would look like a dust-bunny and be shy and make snuffling noises.
- You get an unexpected message. Who is it from and what does it say? It would be from a billionaire who has decided to give me lots of money just because I am so wonderful and I could now buy my parents a house of their own and look after them. I would also pay for everyone who wanted it to have gender transforming surgery.
- What is your favorite insect? Lady-bird (bug to USA).
- What is the most interesting or silly thing you've seen in the clouds?
1..What is the first thing you would do if you were God?
2. Who do you love most in the world and why?
3. What is the scariest thing that has ever happened to you?
4. What is your go to comfort food?
5. Do you have a pet/s? If so tell me about it/them.
6. Who would be first against the wall when your revolution comes?
7. What name would you give yourself that really suits your personality? Anything goes.
8. Do you hate anyone? Who and why?
9. What is your favourite tree?
10. What's love got to do with it?
11. Which came first the chicken or the egg?
12. If you have a best beloved what is your pet name for them?
13. What is the meaning of life?
who sees this who wants to and hasn't done it yet.
Feel free to ignore this (or shelve it for a month before finally getting around to it)